Item #: MD-18605
Ship Weight: 0.4982 lb
GastroTec Ulcer Paste
Equine Gastric and Colonic Ulcer Treatment
GastroTec Ulcer Paste (Omeprazole, Misoprostol) is a supplemental medication for the treatment of gastric and colonic ulcers in horses. Omeprazole is an effective inhibitor of gastric acid secretion in horses and thereby helps in preventing and treating gastric ulcers. Misoprostol is highly effective in colonic ulcer treatment. GastroTec is recommended to be used during stressful events or activities that may cause gastric and/or colonic ulcers.
- Convenient once-a-day dosing
- Easy to administer and readily accepted by horses
- Proven to prevent gastric ulcers and their recurrence
Clinical Signs Associated with Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS)
- Occurs in the stomach and foregut
- Poor appetite
- Change in behavior
- Unhealthy appearance
- Reduced physical ability and performance
Clinical Signs Associated with Colonic Ulcers
- Occurs in the intestines and hindqut
- Poor appetite
- Dull hair coat
- Can progress to diarrhea, fever and recurring episodes of colic
- Condition may worsen with the administration of some medications such as Phenylbutazone (Bute) and Banamine
- Omeprazole blocks secretion of acid at the parietal cell membrane by irreversibly binding to the proton pump of the cell. Due to its prolonged anti-secretory effect, Omeprazole allows for once-daily dosing.
- Misoprostol provides unique mucosal protective effects in the colon and enhances the rate of repair.
Dosage and Administration:
Once daily administration of GastroTec is recommended for horses exposed to stressful conditions which may include: training, racing, showing, traveling, stall confinement, and competition.
- To set the syringe plunger, unlock the dose ring by rotating 1/4 turn and slide the dose ring along the plunger shaft so that the side nearest the barrel is set at he appropriate daily dose marking.
- Rotate 1/4 turn to lock ring before dosing.
- Make sure horse's mouth contains no feed before administration.
- Remove syringe tip cover.
- Insert syringe into the corner of the horse's mouth.
- Depress the plunger until it stops at the base ring.
GastroTec is intended for use in healthy horses and weighing at least 600 lbs. GastroTec is not intended for used in pregnant mares or mares intended for breeding.
GastroTec in the care of gastric and colonic ulcers in foals and weanlings has not been evaluated.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.